Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Experimentations-show opened!

Hey friends,
my solo show "Experimentations: On Silence & Perception" had its opening on tuesday, and I can safely say that it was both a great success and a great relief. A lot of visitors showed up for an hour and a half of coffee, cookies and good conversations (the three essential c's of human existence - we had to go without the fourth one - carnies). Many of the FGCU art faculty and fellow art students gave me valuable feedback on my work, but what impressed me the most were some old friends I had lost track of over the years, and who now looked at the work - essentially learning about what it actually is that I'm about now - wide-eyed and impressed. Very good, connecting me back with them, kinda closing the gap.
Well, let me briefly talk about what the premise of the show was (something I haven't mentioned yet I believe), and I'll also share some photographs of when I documented it for myself when all the guests had left. Then, in later posts, I'll go into more detail about the conceptual context of some of the works.

The main title, "Experimentations", comes from Anica Sturdivant, our gallery director, who needed something to put on our website while I was out of reach over the summer. She picked the word with the intention of staying as vague as possible, by then obviously not knowing at all what I had in mind. Well, she was spot on in my opinion. After "In The Woods" I knew I needed to branch out, taking my work into several different experimental directions at the same time, in a playful, adventurous approach that would keep me on my toes every day in the studio. I'm not the kind of artist who does extensive series. I like to keep the work multi-layered, in a variety of media and forms, while at the same time offering cross-connections to every other territory within my creative landscape.
The show includes painting, installation, photography, video, sound and sculpture - a collection of detours and variations on the themes I'm interested in: silence and sound, manipulating our perception of reality, creating spaces that serve as sanctuaries. That is why I added the subtitle.
Here are some impressions from the show:






the Wood Surface Studies

the Bowerbird installation "Things We Build" 

the two "Memory: Berlin 1990" paintings and "Yellow Delta"

three abstract paintings

"Blue Glacier"

"Assorted New Worlds" - digital photography

detail from the New Worlds

another detail


ok, hopefully you enjoy these. I'll soon be back with more, especially on the wood surface studies and the Bowerbird piece. I will also upload the video work "Landscapes I Found" onto my Youtube page. Also coming up: the show as seen from the Bowerbird's point of view!

P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers